Fashion, Life, Mama Fashion, Shopping

From Frumpy to Fab – The Well Put Together Mom

November 19, 2013
Frumpy to Fab

I get  many emails requesting tips on how to look well put together when leaving your house that I thought it might be good to do a post.

Frumpy to Fab

Hover over image to PIN

Let me say, I think at times when people are asking how to look well put together they have their eyes set on someone’s style be it another mom, a celebrity etc. Style is what is comfortable for you, and when looking at others thinking something is fashionable but knowing it would never work for your lifestyle, it just becomes a crutch and an excuse to continue looking a certain way. I’m going to attempt to stop the frumpy madness and tell you to embrace who you are and dress yourself from that space. MmmmmmmKay?!

• Make up in your mind you don’t want to look frumpy: It’s that simple. Most of the time when I leave THIS house I know that I want to look presentable. That doesn’t mean I have on designer clothing that just means I put some thought into what I am going to put on. MY mood is better when I look good.
Oh look, it's Halle Berry in a simple blouse, ripped jeans and sunglasses. Easy!

Oh look, it’s Halle Berry in a simple blouse, ripped jeans and sunglasses. Easy!

Source

• Be Intentional About Your Clothing Purchases: As sad as it is, when I want to look a mess I have to dig for things. That’s how I designed it. When I just want to throw on a T-shirt or sweatpants I usually have to borrow them from my husband. I purged my closet and rebuilt it with well fitting basics that I am able to mix and match. For you, that may be a sweatsuit, or tennis shoes. Just be intentional about selecting a flattering sweatsuit or cute sneakers.
  • Shop Smart: I know what’s coming next…MONEY. Who has money to buy these things? You do. Looking fashionable isn’t about spending a ton of money. You can look just as put together with a well fitting pair of jeans, a shirt and a $5 scarf tossed around your neck that you got from Walmart on your weekly shopping trip. Try a pair of earrings or a necklace from Target these things will not break the bank but will do wonders for upping your fashion quotient.
  • Make Sure it Fits: Make sure it fits, make sure it fits and make sure it fits. Nine times out of ten people look a mess because their clothes don’t fit properly. That goes for your bra as well. I don’t care if you got the jeans from Nordstrom or Walmart if they don’t fit, they don’t look good.
  • Put Something on Your Lips and Comb Your Hair: I mean this. Put a dab of gloss or lipstick on and comb your hair. People normally start at the top and go down. If your outfit is on point but the top portion of you is a mess….I mean. Again nothing drastic here, a ponytail or topknot with some vaseline works. I promise.
ponytail

Really, none of the above is important if you don’t bathe!!

The holidays are upon us, there is truly no reason to step to Black Friday looking like you rolled out of bed or find yourself at the Thanksgiving table looking like it’s an ordinary dinner. Your family and friends haven’t seen you for nearly a year or more, I urge you to put some effort into your look even if it’s only a pair of jeans from Walmart, a top from Target, some flats from Payless and a scarf from the Dollar Tree I have a Dollar Tree scarf make it work for you. Oh and don’t forget to comb your hair and put on some lipgloss.

Need some tips on the basics to buy? Here you go!

What is the biggest challenge you face in making sure you look put together?!

• Reply Melisa - Mommy This and That November 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I think my biggest challenge is that I am not use to my mommy body. I need to lose weight because in my minds eye, I am still 22 and 100 pounds and so those are the close I gravitate towards, things that just don’t work with my now mature body. Mind you, I do not leave the house in my yoga pants unless I am going to the gmy but some days a ponytail and no makeup is the best I can do. (I blame the child that is 2 1/2 and STILL don’t sleep through the night…)
    Melisa – Mommy This and That recently posted..1

• Reply Tia November 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm

The biggest challenge that I face is giving myself the time to get dressed. Most mornings I wake up before the kids and I get dressed and maybe do some makeup. You’re right, I do feel much better about life in general on those days. I recently did a gutting of my wardrobe so it’s easy for me to pick out things to wear. My biggest challenge these days is having time to tame this hair. Being natural with two kids this young has been tough.

• Reply Lashawn November 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

My biggest challenge is not going for the jeans, chucks and a tshirt/sweatshirt. I ‘m the opposite of you: i have to DIG for my cute clothes! And I only take the time to look cute going to work! Sigh. I really have to do better!!!
    Lashawn recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Fun with Grandma

• Reply Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest November 20, 2013 at 9:27 am

My motto always is that even if it’s laundry day, you can make even the most basic outfit look good with some mascara, lipstick, and some kick butt shoes ;)
    Cassie @ Southeast by Midwest recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide: Makeup for “Guru’s”

• Reply Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell November 20, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thanks for the kick in the pants to get out of my jammies on a daily basis. I do always feel better when I’m dressed to go out, so I’m going to do so more often starting with now!
    Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell recently posted..Save The Date – #GivingTuesday

• Reply Kita November 20, 2013 at 9:34 am

My biggest challenge is finding clothes that fit my body I have such an odd shape small on the bottom big on the top so I just give up and do sweats and a tshirt. If we go out I dress the kids first by the time I am done with hair and neating them up it’s time for me to get dressed and I just throw on whatever because I am just trying to get out of the house. I have said I will try to do better but it has not happened yet. I hope it will rub off on my by next year.
    Kita recently posted..MicroTouch Switch Blade

• Reply Jenni November 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

I’m in the process of purging and re-building. I really don’t want to be the frumpy mom and I felt I was on the verge. I like that I have a job where I don’t have to get super dressed up so, I’m buying pieces that will fit both work and weekend leisure. Purging has also helped me take stock of the pieces I’m missing.
    Jenni recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

• Reply Aracely November 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

I couldn’t agree with you more and finding pieces that fit!

I always feel like I need to purchase something new instead of looking through my messy closet! That’s the issue my closet is too small to fit everything and I can rarely find things so I go out and purchase more! I’ve been good for the past 2 months though, no shoppping! Thanks for the tips!
    Aracely recently posted..$100 Mamanista Giveaway

• Reply Jennifer November 20, 2013 at 11:25 am

I don’t even have kids and suffer from a little too much Frump! Thanks for the tips!
    Jennifer recently posted..Homespun Happiness Christmas Project

• Reply Quiana November 20, 2013 at 11:30 am

Great tips! I’m big on purging cause it forces me to upgrade. I’ve also done really well with K&G online (especially clearance). I never shopped until my husband started getting all his suits there since he’s 6’8″ and can’t shop off the rack. With the subsequent discounts he suggested one day I take a look and I cleaned up! I’ve been shopping there since. A nice pair of jeans, boots/flats (depending on season) and button down are my go-to outfit and sometimes I throw on a blazer if I want to be extra fancy!
    Quiana recently posted..How to Stand Out

• Reply Amanda O"Neal November 20, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Chasing after three kids 8 and under, my go to outfit is a graphic tee and fitted jeans. I can’t go wrong with that! I do feel better about myself when I’m put together, I smile a little more.

• Reply Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? November 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I do feel much better when I make an effort to get dressed and not have on the mommy warddrobe. But with a couple weeks left in my pregnancy, sometimes I just need clothes that feel good:)
    Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? recently posted..How to easily fill your refillable pouches

• Reply Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama November 20, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I have to use lip stain – lipstick or gloss wears RIGHT off me!
    Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama recently posted..WW: What Allergic-Reaction Hives Look Like

• Reply Piera November 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I love these tips – especially “Be Intentional About Your Clothing Purchases”. This one would help me a lot!
    Piera recently posted..Thanksgiving Tablescape Inspiration and Tips #PFdecorates

• Reply Dani @ okdani.com November 20, 2013 at 6:31 pm

My biggest challenge is….desire.
    LOL
    I don’t mind running to C-town (local grocery) looking like death warmed over sometimes.
    Dani @ okdani.com recently posted..WAHM Wednesday: What the Wealthy Do

• Reply Rebecca November 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I love the way you mentioned shopping smart – buying classic clothes, not trendy clothes is an excellent way to do that.

• Reply Melissa November 20, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Thanks for this post…it really gave me some motivation to step it up! No excuse! I need to quit picking my son up from school with no make-up, hair thrown back, etc. I always feel frumpy.
    Melissa recently posted..Holiday Shopping with OshKosh B’gosh! #OshKoshBgosh

• Reply Dawn Lopez November 20, 2013 at 8:46 pm

What fabulous tips, I could use them! I totally need to go shopping for new clothes asap! I am down to only a couple of presentable outfits!
    Dawn Lopez recently posted..Saving Time and Money with eMeals: Barbecue Chicken Stromboli Recipe

• Reply Reginia {PoisedinPrint.com} November 20, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Great post Mimi. Though I’m not a mom yet, these quit tips are so helpful as sometimes life gets in the way of things. Lip gloss goes a long way.
    Reginia {PoisedinPrint.com} recently posted..Around the Water Cooler; That One Person

• Reply Denise {Wholesome Mommy} November 20, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Love it! I have two little ones and a hectic schedule. But I cannot function without a shower. I get totally dressed shoes and all and it makes me much more able to take on the day! I’m ready to run! :)
    Denise
    Denise {Wholesome Mommy} recently posted..Confused by Chicken Labels? Here’s What You Should Look For:

• Reply Nicole Leon November 21, 2013 at 2:42 am

Wow! Thank you for these wonderful tips and I will put a few of these tips into play. I admit I need to add some custom jewelry pieces into my wardrobe but I haven’t been able to afford them at this time. I hope to do that in the near future.
    Nicole Leon recently posted..The Health Benefits of Laughter Therapy

• Reply Candace (NYStateofMoM) November 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

My struggle is…I don’t care until I see someone looking really cute! like wow I probably should’ve done better today LOL I’m in scrubs all day so no desire to be cute and on the weekends it’s Chunks all day ::shrug:: effort is concealer and gloss. I run right to the Gap’s basic shirts but my jeans are always great! Ugh gotta do better
    Candace (NYStateofMoM) recently posted..Where I Want To Be

• Reply Janeane Davis November 21, 2013 at 11:22 am

The biggest challenge I face is time. I am controlling my time better and it helps me to make myself look better and feel better.
    Janeane Davis recently posted..Entrepreneurs – Be Thankful For Your Business, You Make America Great

• Reply Anjanette @MommaYoung November 21, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Thank you for the great tips. I do have to say I feel frumpy a lot so these are helpful. I do need to go on a little shopping spree.

• Reply Jessica @ Coupon Spice November 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I am not a girly-girl, so I have the biggest challenge with accessories. I just forget my earrings and necklace sometimes. I found some jewelry on sale a few weeks ago and stocked up, though!
    Jessica @ Coupon Spice recently posted..Walmart Pre-Black Friday!

• Reply katherine bartlett November 22, 2013 at 3:16 am

These are such great tips! I’m totally loving it!
    katherine bartlett recently posted..Try the New McDonalds White Chocolate Mocha #MomentsofWonder

• Reply Mrs. Delightful November 25, 2013 at 2:41 pm

My biggest challenge is probably time management…I’m pretty good about looking put together when I know I’m going somewhere. I wish I could make more of an effort going to Target or running errands.

• Reply Brittnei November 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

These are nice tips for moms looking for ways to put some time into their looks again after having kids. I always feel like I am not only a representation of myself and my son, but of my husband as well when I go out. I just want that to be a good one so I definitely get dressed every single day and do my hair. :) My son and I usually go out midday for walks so even if I don’t leave our apartment complex, people will still see me.
    Brittnei recently posted..An Unexpected Gift

• Reply K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy November 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Great tips! It truly isn’t that hard to put together a decent outfit that doesn’t look like a mom uniform or like you rolled out of bed into your car. A little effort goes a long way when it comes to looking good.
    K. Elizabeth @ YUMMommy recently posted..5 On Friday

• Reply Small Business Gift Guide | Lipgloss & BinkyLipgloss & Binky December 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

[...] mentioned in this post, accessories are the best way to dress up an every day outfit. I personally like to save my good [...]

• Reply Roni January 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks for the tips! I’ve been in a bit of slump lately when it comes to getting dressed. I just told my mom the only time I really put on decent clothes everyday is when I seem to go out of town for a few days (like during Christmas) or to church on Sundays. Sad I know. I plan on doing better in the new year!
    Roni recently posted..Natural Hairstyles of 2013