Baking, Domestications, Recipes

Sunday Sweets – Cheddar Crusted Apple Pie

September 30, 2012

If you’ve been around these parts long enough you know that I am not a true natural when it comes to the kitchen. I can whip up a few things here and there but it takes time and the outcome and taste are often up in the air.

In a past post, I wrote about trying to create memories for my children like my mother did for me regarding cooking and the like. I want them to be proud to say their mother could rock a pair of skinny jeans and stilettos and bake a mean cake.

Without practice we never get better so I’ve decided to attempt to try my hand at baking something new every Sunday and share it with you, since I love to bake and I would like to get better at it. I’ll never get better at it if I don’t try. Right?

First up…Martha Stewart’s Cheddar Crusted Apple Pie. Not sure why I would start this challenge with a Martha Stewart recipe but…..

You can find the recipe here

I started off making the dough for the crust from scratch. You know it is never smooth sailing with me. I had to pulse the flour, cheese, salt, and butter together. Well my $5 caught on a deal processor was too small for this to happen in one batch so I had to do two…I keep telling  y’all you have to be quick on your feet.

With the cheese added in. I then rolled this out into two thin disks. I actually got a proper rolling pin!!

Once this was completed I stuck in the refrigerator until I was finished cutting the apples and making the sugar/cinnamon mixture

So it was a little rough getting the crust on. It was a little patchy..but whatever

In the end it was delicious. I like cheese and apples so that is what caught my eye on this on. The cheese flavoring wasn’t overpowering. It was just enough of it in the crust to get the taste. I would definitely make this again..

It was supposed to look like this..Could be the camera angle. No?

Source: marthastewart.com via Mimi on Pinterest

Nobody’s perfect..Nobody’s perfect…ayyyyyeeeee….Sweet Potato cupcakes up next.

• Reply Mama Violet September 30, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I’m impressed. That looks delicious!
    Mama Violet recently posted..TSC Spotlight + Link-Up Party

• Reply Jenni October 1, 2012 at 12:08 am

Remember, Martha Stewart has helpers for her helpers! Your pie looks great. I’m not big on baking but I want to start getting into it. I’m looking forward to your posts. I need inspiration.
    Jenni recently posted..The Bad Note

• Reply Mimi October 1, 2012 at 12:47 am

Martha Stewart has helpers for her helpers? OMG Hilarious. Right! She probably can’t even slice an apple.

• Reply Kita October 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

You did good. That’s the one thing I don’t do is make pie crust from scratch but the fall does call for more baking it just would not feel right without baked goods on the table.

• Reply Krissy October 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm

good job. I don’t know how i feel about cheese and apples tho.
    Krissy recently posted..The way God works

• Reply Joy and Sunshine October 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

This looks SO good! I’m imagining vanilla ice cream over a warm slice of that apple/cheese pie. Baking isn’t my strong point, but I have to try this. Also, it’s definitely the camera angle: I’m sure your version matches or exceeds Martha’s :-)
    Joy and Sunshine recently posted..Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

• Reply Mimi October 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Thank you!! You saw the vision!

• Reply Tia October 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I think your pie looks good! Great job!
    Tia recently posted..The Great Pacifier Debate

• Reply YUMMommy October 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm

You did a good job. When it comes to covered pies, you do have to remember to make slits in the top crust to avoid it cracking on it’s own unless you want it to. I would love to try but not sure how it would turn out with soy cheese.
    YUMMommy recently posted..My Weekend WrapUp

• Reply Antonette October 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

MIMI!!!! OMG I love to bake also!
    LOL I just bought my Holiday Baking Paula’s 12 days of Christmas Cookies
    I CAN”T WAIT to dig in.
    It’s my idea to bake something new every Sunday as well.
    My MIL is passing down her recipes & I’m loving them!
    We shld exchange best recipes!
    A

• Reply Besos, Lynn October 2, 2012 at 9:36 am

Stop by my blog to enter my first giveaway!!!! Can’t wait for the cupcakes!!!
    Besos,, Lynn

• Reply Quiana October 4, 2012 at 1:13 am

Catching up on my reader now that I’m back from Blogalicious and saw your yummy pie! I’ve always heard about combining cheddar and apple but never tried it. I’ll have to give it a try!
    Quiana recently posted..Lil Love Bird’s Train

• Reply Rachael February 13, 2014 at 1:08 am

OHYUM. My brother is obsessed with cheddar on top of apple pies ~ I am going to email this to him (or surprise him and bake it for him and his wife!) great recipe <3
    Rachael recently posted..Waterloo and City – Culver City